Map showing all of the Puueo Ahapuaa
       
     
Just below Puueo Mauka
       
     
Top of Amauulu showing logging contracts
       
     
1889 Map showing Puueo
       
     
Detail of the mauka part of puueo 1889 map
       
     
Hamakua Boundary
       
     
Puueo Dairy 1921
       
     
Dairy Closeup
       
     
Radio Tower 1946
       
     
Water for the camps 1948
       
     
1965 Aerial photo showing the conservation lot
       
     
1965 Aerial photo showing upper Puueo
       
     
1965 aerial photo closeup
       
     
Puueo before the subdivision 1995
       
     
Same 1995 map
       
     
Forest Reserve based on a 1913 map
       
     
Map showing all of the Puueo Ahapuaa
       
     
Map showing all of the Puueo Ahapuaa

The section in white is Puueo. This is a photo of a map that was at the Sugar Cane headquarters.

Just below Puueo Mauka
       
     
Just below Puueo Mauka

Note the location of the camp just to the left of Amauulu Road

Top of Amauulu showing logging contracts
       
     
Top of Amauulu showing logging contracts

The Eucalyptus Saligna planted after 1980 (Bioenergy Devel Corp) has was cut in 2017

1889 Map showing Puueo
       
     
1889 Map showing Puueo

Most of these pictures were taken in the Brewer office building in the early 2000’s, with permission from Ed Olson who had bought the building along with many of the parcels in Puueo.

These pictures have been edited to make them more readable. The documents are very old and had yellowed a lot.

Detail of the mauka part of puueo 1889 map
       
     
Detail of the mauka part of puueo 1889 map

Note that what is now called Kananiapia Falls was then called Leleokoai Falls. Lele means jump, and koai means twirl.

It appears that Amauulu Road existed the, paralleled by a flume.

Hamakua Boundary
       
     
Hamakua Boundary

Note the Pukihai boundary, and the two roads crossing it. The two stream crossings of the Pukihai no longer exist, although there is one a bit farther to the left of the left hand one shown.

Puueo Dairy 1921
       
     
Puueo Dairy 1921

Almost no traces of the Amauulu Dairy remain, other than some concrete slabs dropped into the Awahi Stream. The flumes are also gone.

Dairy Closeup
       
     
Dairy Closeup

This shows some details more clearly

Radio Tower 1946
       
     
Radio Tower 1946

We have found no trace of this tower or the grounding system, though it existed in 1965.

Water for the camps 1948
       
     
Water for the camps 1948

Water for the camps came from a dam on the Awahi Stream, went through a concrete flume, and then into a pipe that extended down Amauulu. Most of the pipe has been since removed.
Amauulu Camp 5 is also referred to as the Spanish lots, and is shown to have a population of only 5 then

1965 Aerial photo showing the conservation lot
       
     
1965 Aerial photo showing the conservation lot

The leftmost area outlined in red covers most of the highest part of Puueo. The small robusta area is barely visible, as it the spring, just to the right of the highest part of the lot.

1965 Aerial photo showing upper Puueo
       
     
1965 Aerial photo showing upper Puueo

The cane roads shown here still exist. The next picture shows part of this in higher resolution (and rotated 90 degrees!)

1965 aerial photo closeup
       
     
1965 aerial photo closeup

Both the dairy and radio tower are visible. Note the long shadow from the tower. The dark area is robusta. Only three of the original Spanish Lots are visible.

Puueo before the subdivision 1995
       
     
Puueo before the subdivision 1995

The Spanish Lots still exist, but in only a few years, it was completely changed, making the Puueo Farm lots.

Same 1995 map
       
     
Same 1995 map

Shows some detail that was missed on the first map.

Forest Reserve based on a 1913 map
       
     
Forest Reserve based on a 1913 map

Unfortunately, a lot of the text on this map is illegible